Hi On Boards,
How are you? We all know this feeling: As soon as we start cutting an onion, our eyes start burning and a moment later the tears flow, making you blind and forcing you to take a break. This is irritating and frustrating, and it costs you precious time when cooking. And time to cook is unfortunately often something you don't have much of. So would it not be great if you could cut your onions without crying? Simply chopping them quickly and moving on instead of battling for many minutes with that one onion?
Especially if you need to cut a lot of onions for your food, not crying would really save you time, helping you to get dinner on the table in less time. Great news: You can! The first step to cutting onions without tears is to understand why onions make us cry: When you cut the root, it releases an enzyme which reacts with the onion and the oxygen in the air. The gas then produced creates an acid when it meets the water in your eyes, causing them to tear to flush the acid out.
Knowing this, you see three basic strategies that can help you to cut onions without crying:
1. Cut your onions properly
2. Keep the irritating gas out of your eyes
3. Hinder or stop the production of the gas
Strategy #1. Cut your onions properly
* Use a sharp knife: It will break less onion cells and less acid enzymes are released.
* Remove the root: This is where the concentration of acid enzymes is highest. Best remove it completely before peeling the onion.
* Cut fast: The faster you cut, the sooner you can fry your onion which immediately destroys the acid enzymes. The gas also has less time to get to your eyes. But don't cut your finger because of cutting faster than you can!
Strategy #2. Keep the irritating gas out of your eyes
* Protect your eyes: Wear a mask or gas-tight goggles. Contact lenses also form a barrier.
* Divert the gas: Cut onions in a strong draft, for example close to your stoves extractor or a fan.
* Breathe through your mouth: The gas is then absorbed by your wet tongue and bypasses the tear duct nerves.
* Use water to absorb the gas: Have running water close by, or a steaming kettle.
* Burn the gas: A burning candle or gas stove next to you will draw the gas to the flame.
* Keep cuts pointing away from you: Peel the onion only right before cutting it. Place the half you are not busy with cutting edge down. Keep the "tubes" pointing away from you to avoid gas spraying into your eyes.
* Chew bubblegum: Chewing makes you breathe through your mouth and prevents tearing.
Strategy #3. Hinder or stop production of the gas
* Chill the onions: Coldness reduces the amount of enzymes released when cutting. Your eyes will still suffer some irritation but this method alleviates it.
* Denature the acid enzymes: This works by ionic solutions, water and acid. Soak the onions in salt or plain water, or put vinegar on your chopping board.
I hope when trying these tips you will find the magic trick that helps you to cut your onions without tears and burning eyes, and what is most important: much faster, so that you can safe some precious time when cooking and get off to your relaxing evening a bit sooner.
Luray va accommodations